Siphelele Nketo
AN Eastern Cape man, Samuel Ndesi (47), is set to pay for his sins after the Mthatha High Court sentenced him to eight years’ imprisonment for imputing witchcraft (contravention of the Witchcraft Suppression Act 3 of 1957) and 20 years of direct imprisonment for murder, amounting to a cumulative 28 years’ imprisonment.
On May 8, the court ordered the sentences to run concurrently, resulting in an effective 20 years of direct imprisonment.
He murdered his mother Retuie (68) in the Chris Hani district, accusing her of witchcraft in July last year.
The woman was stabbed to death with a knife. SAPS Chris Hani district commissioner Major General Rudolph Adolph has welcomed the sentence and said that it will serve as a deterrent to other criminals.
“Hefty sentences are necessary in order to curb despicable and heinous crimes against the elderly people,” Adolph said.
Samuel has been declared unfit to possess a firearm.

